Illinois fall trout season opens October 16
Trout to be stocked at 37 locations
SPRINGFIELD, ILL. – The 2010 Illinois fall trout fishing season opens Saturday, Oct. 16 at 37 ponds and lakes throughout the state, Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) Director Marc Miller announced.
“The fall colors and autumn weather make it a great time of year to go fishing in Illinois, and the catchable trout fishing season is always popular among anglers,” said Miller. “It is a great opportunity to spend time outdoors with the family and enjoy fishing for some tasty trout.”
More than 70,000 trout are stocked by IDNR at the locations listed below just prior to the opening of the fall trout season. Anglers are reminded that no trout may be taken from any of the stocked sites from Oct. 1 until the fall trout season opens at 5 a.m on Oct. 16.
To take trout legally beginning Oct. 16, anglers must have a fishing license and an inland trout stamp, unless they are under age 16, blind or disabled or are Illinois residents on leave from active duty in the Armed Forces. The daily catch limit for each angler is five trout.
Anglers are reminded to check the opening time of their favorite trout fishing location if they plan to go fishing on Opening Day. While regulations allow trout season to open at 5 a.m. on Oct. 16, not all locations are open that early.
For more information on the fall trout season and other Illinois fishing opportunities, check the web site at www.ifishillinois.org.
Illinois fishing licenses and inland trout stamps are available at DNR Direct license and permit locations, including many bait shops, sporting goods stores and other retail outlets. Fishing licenses and trout stamps can also be purchased by using a credit card through DNR Direct via the Internet at the DNR license site or by calling 1-888-6PERMIT (1-888-673-7648).
For more information about site regulations, anglers should contact individual sites that will be stocked with catchable-size trout. IDNR will stock the following locations:
- Adams County: Siloam Springs State Park, 217-894-6205
- Bond County: Greenville Old City Lake (Patriot’s Park Lake), 618-664-2330
- Bureau County: Hennepin Canal Parkway State Park, 815-454-2328
- Christian County: Manners Park Pond in Taylorville, 217-824-3110
- Coles County: Campus Pond at Eastern Illinois University, 217-345-2420
- Cook County: Axehead Lake – Cook County Forest Preserve District, 847-294-4134
- Cook County: Belleau Lake – Cook County Forest Preserve District, 847-294-4134
- Crawford County: Crawford County Conservation Area Pond, 618-563-4405
- Douglas County: Villa Grove West Lake, 217-345-2420
- Jefferson County: Mount Vernon Game Farm Pond, 618-547-3610
- Johnson County: Ferne Clyffe State Park, 618-995-2411
- Kankakee County: Bird Park Quarry in Kankakee, 815-939-1311
- Kendall County: Big Lake at Silver Springs State Fish and Wildlife Area, 630-553-6297
- Lake County: Banana Lake – Lake County Forest Preserve, 815-675-2319
- Lake County: Sand Lake at Illinois Beach State Park, 847-662-4828
- Macon County: Rock Springs Pond – Macon County Conservation District, 217-423-7708
- Macoupin County: Beaver Dam Lake, 217-854-8020
- Madison County: Highland Old City Lake, 618-651-1386
- Marion County: Boston Pond at Stephen A. Forbes State Recreation Area, 618-547-3381
- Massac County: Fairgrounds Pond at Fort Massac State Park in Metropolis, 618-524-4712
- McDonough County: Argyle Lake at Argyle Lake State Park, 309-776-3422
- Randolph County: Randolph County State Fish and Wildlife Area Lake, 618-826-2706
- Randolph County: Derby Lake at World Shooting and Recreational Complex in Sparta, 618-295-2700
- Rock Island County: Prospect Park Pond in Moline, 815-454-2759
- St. Clair County: Frank Holten State Recreation Area Lake, 618-874-7920
- St. Clair County: Jones Park Lake in East St. Louis, 618-847-7920
- St. Clair County: Willow Lake at Peabody River King State Fish and Wildlife Area, 618-785-2555
- Saline County: Jones Lake Trout Pond at Saline County State Fish and Wildlife Area, 618-276-4405
- Sangamon County: IDOT Lake in Springfield, 309-543-3316
- Sangamon County: Washington Park Pond in Springfield, 309-543-3316
- Shelby County: Forest Park Lagoon in Shelbyville, 217-345-2420
- Tazewell County: Mineral Springs Park Lagoon in Pekin, 309-968-7568
- Vermilion County: Clear Lake at Kickapoo State Recreation Area, 217-442-4915
- Wabash County: Beall Woods Lake at Beall Woods State Park, 618-298-2442
- Warren County: Citizen’s Lake in Monmouth, 309-344-2617
- Wayne County: Sam Dale Trout Pond at Sam Dale Lake State Fish and Wildlife Area, 618-835-2292
- Whiteside County: Coleta Trout Pond just west of Coleta, 815-772-4708